Camping at Walker Creek Ranch
This year we will again gather at Walker Creek Ranch in Petaluma, CA The Ranch is less than 50 miles from Oakland and San Francisco and is about an hour’s drive from either location. It is 14 miles South West of Petaluma.
The address is 1700 Marshall-Petaluma Road • Petaluma, CA 94952.
You can find more information at the Walker Creek Ranch web site.
The large-scale map below shows the general location of Walker Creek Ranch. Select the map for a larger view.
Walker Creek Ranch, general Area
Classrooms: There are ample classrooms of various sizes, including several large rooms, and an outdoor amphitheater and fire pit. We are able to accommodate all of our classes and workshops indoors even in the event of wet or cold weather.
The Walker Creek Ranch Site Map shows the central area of the buildings at the Ranch, including classrooms, dorms, and lodges. Download it here: WCR Site Map 1
Exclusive Use: Born to Drum has reserved the Ranch for the week-end and will have exclusive access to the facilities while we are at camp.
Weather: According to the conference center information, “The weather varies greatly at the Ranch at all times of the year. Be prepared for both hot, sunny California days and cool, foggy Coastal conditions. Bring both your sweater and shorts!” You will want a warm blanket, comforter, or sleeping bag in case of cold nights.
These are suggestions to help you pack for the week-end.
You can download this list to use as a checklist: Checklist: “What to Bring”
If you are camping or staying in the Dorm: Bring a sleeping bag or linens , blanket, pillow , towel and washcloth– Sheets and blankets are not provided at the camp. It can turn cold at night, so we advise bringing a warm sleeping bag or comforter.
If you are staying in a semi-private or private room: linens, blanket, and pillow, washcloth and towel are provided. It may be cold at night, so we suggest you bring an extra blanket or sleeping bag.
* Your drum(s) or percussion instrument(s)!
* Tape recorder and tapes or other recording device with extra batteries, a notebook and pens
* Tape or band aids for your fingers – plain white adhesive is good.
* We will have several altars in the main room; you are invited to bring photos of departed loved ones for the ancestor altar and also sacred items for the other altar. If you do, please remember to take your items from the altars before you leave!
* You may want to bring some material to decorate your room or to make your bunk more private. You might also want to bring a piece of foam to make your bunk more comfortable.
* Snacks for quick energy between classes
* Refillable water bottle
* Prescription Medications
* Towel and wash cloth
* Toiletries, Soap/shampoo
* Earplugs — we do drum at night and we’ve heard rumours that there is some snoring!
* Sunscreen (#15 +)
* Changes of clothes
* Sturdy shoes for hiking
* Warm jacket
* Day Pack
* Bathing suit for swimming in Turtle Pond!
* Alarm clock for waking up on time and watches to keep track of class schedules throughout the day.
* Still Camera (no videos please and no flash)
* If you are hiking, extra shoes and socks
* Quarters and soap for laundry
* Change or dollar bills for vending machines
* Cash or checkbook for Born to Drum and WDI t-shirts, teacher CDs and DVDs, and Marketplace items
If you forget some items check out Goodies Box in the Dining Room. We may have brought extras. There is also a camp store where you can buy snacks.
See class descriptions for teachers’ suggestions about instruments to bring to classes.
Walker Creek Ranch and Born to Drum assume no responsibility for loss of or damage to personal property.
Please do not bring unnecessary items of value. You may want to carry with you or lock in your car any valuables that you must bring.
Video recording is not allowed, so please don’t bring your video camera — and please resist using that great video recorder on your cell phone.
There will be designated camp photographers and videographers at camp. These media materials will be used for Born to Drum promotional purposes.
* Video photography is NOT allowed, other than by the designated camp photographers.
* Still photography is allowed during classes, and teacher performances, with permission of the teacher.
* Photos are not allowed during the opening and closing ceremonies, other than by the designated camp photographers.
* FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT allowed during ceremonies and performances. This is health issue as well as out of respect for performers and participants.
* Please respect our faculty by asking their permission before taking their picture.
The Walker Creek Ranch has rules that we must follow. Failure to do so could result in individuals or the group being asked to leave the facility and could jeopardize our future use of Walker Creek Ranch.
We are able to drum outdoors until 10 pm; we also have permission to drum later at the firepit during drum jams. After 10 pm we can drum indoors as long as we want. Please be respectful of staff and other campers who are sleeping.
The following are not allowed on the premises:
* illegal substances
* weapons of any kind
Smoking is never allowed in a building. When smoking outdoors, please deposit butts in appropriate containers, and NOT in trash cans or the campfire
Our faculty are invited to bring their CDs and DVDs, which Born to Drum will be selling for them. The WDI t-shirt and Born to Drum 2012 t-shirts will also be available for purchase. There will also be a marketplace including drums, percussion instruments, clothing, jewelry, art and other items, along with body work. So you may want to bring some cash or your check book as well! Most vendors do not take credit cards. Born to Drum does not take credit cards on site.
Note: You can download these directions here:
Born to Drum / Walker Creek Ranch Driving directions
Directions coming Northbound on Highway 101
* U. S. 101 to San Marin/Atherton exit in Novato.
* LEFT on San Marin, over freeway. Follow about 3 miles.
* RIGHT on Novato Boulevard. Drive about 6.3 miles until you reach Point Reyes/ Petaluma Road.
* RIGHT on Point Reyes/Petaluma Road. Follow about 1⁄4 mile to Hicks Valley Road.
* LEFT on Hicks Valley Road. Follow about 3.3 miles to Marshall/Petaluma Road.
* LEFT on Marshall/Petaluma Road. Proceed 5 miles to 1700 Marshall-Petaluma Road.
* Ranch entrance is on the right
Directions coming Southbound on Highway 101
* U.S. 101 to East Washington exit in Petaluma.
* RIGHT on Washington. Follow to Petaluma Blvd.
* LEFT onto Petaluma Blvd. Follow one block.
* RIGHT onto Western Ave. Continue approximately 2 miles until you see a sign for Walker Creek Ranch.
* LEFT onto Chileno Valley Road. This becomes Wilson Hill Road, and eventually becomes Marshall/Petaluma Road.
* Drive approximately 14 miles to 1700 Marshall-Petaluma Road
* Ranch entrance is on the right.
For directions from a specific location, enter the information here with your starting location in the “From” box and “1700 Marshall-Petaluma Road, Petaluma, CA” in the “To” box.